The Complete Open Book exam Guide for Malaysian and Singaporean Students
The demand for online and distance learning, coupled with the Covid-19 pandemic, has pushed many universities and colleges in Malaysia to adopt Open-book examinations (OBE), timed online assessment (TOA), and tutor-marked assignments (TMA).
Students are beginning to understand better how to handle these assessments; however, it is a challenging task for many students not used to time-based exams. Others have resorted to academic writing services in Malaysia to improve their grades and reduce stress.
What is an Open Book Assignment?
In normal settings, exams are often invigilated, and students are not permitted to carry any reference materials like textbooks or notes to the exam room. However, open-book assignments allow exam candidates to carry relevant resources such as notes and textbooks to help them pass their exams.
That looks pretty easy, right? Many students would love to carry their textbooks to the examination for easier dubbing.
You will be surprised that there is nothing to copy directly from a textbook because open book exams test the application of knowledge rather than facts. The exams may test problem-solving skills, delivering solutions, or essay-style questions.
For instance, law students may be given a question involving a hypothetical case they should argue in court. The resource material may state principles and laws, but the students should know how to apply them when solving the case in the exams.
Open book exams come in two ways:
• The student takes the exams from home- the students do exams at home with all resources available and present the detailed answers to the questions within a stipulated time online or physically to the professor.
• The students traditionally sit down for the exams- the candidates are given limited time to access their textbooks or notes during the exam period.
These methods differ from the traditional closed-book exams as it tests students’ ability to make sense of what they have learned in class. It also eliminates the need for last-minute cramming for memorizing tests.
Since most top universities in Malaysia have teaching programs geared toward developing creative and critical thinking skills in their students, you will likely engage in open-book exams.
Many institutions are warming up for open book assignments because tutors can test students’ ability to find and apply the information they have read in books. Most of these exams involve statistics or laws. They require students to reference written material such as acts of parliament directly.
Open book exams aim to equip candidates with intellectual abilities and skills to solve problems rather than memorize information from textbooks that they may not use in real life. The students are not studying only to pass exams; they also ask themselves how they can use the information from a book to solve real-world problems.
The resource materials provide raw information, but it is up to the student to submit well-structured solutions based on the information they gather. Open-book exams can be fun if you master how they are done. Let’s examine some advantages of these assessments.
Advantages of Open-book Exams
You have several reasons to enjoy open book exams in Malaysia and Singapore. Here are some notable advantages:
The questions presented in open-book exams are realistic and test the students’ conceptual skills.
1. It gives the examiners flexibility and freedom since the students will have reference materials to look up.
2. Open book exam does not support cramming and rote memorization; rather, it tests the students’ problem-solving skills and application of knowledge. The problem with cramming or memorizing facts is that they are easy to forget immediately after the exams.
3. Open-book exams inspire learning, allowing students to read widely. Since students are not required to memorize facts, they can gain more knowledge without the pressure of exams.
4. Open-book exam questions often require long detailed answers, allowing students to freely express their knowledge from multiple resources.
5. Examiners can incorporate multi-step problems in their questions.
6. It is easier for the professors to extend the work the students should do in every assessment.
7. Since the exams test knowledge application, the graduates are better equipped to handle life challenges and are likely to succeed.
The ultimate guide to open-book exams
If you have an open-book exam on the way, you want to ensure you are prepared like traditional closed-book exams. Here are some valuable steps you can take:
• Ensure you have all course guides, reference materials, textbooks and lecture notes before the exams commence.
• You also want to ensure that your exam equipment, such as a pen, pencil, graph, rubber, calculator, etc., are ready.
• If the professor allows you to access the resource materials online, ensure your internet connection is stable. Sometimes the examiner may require that you submit typed exams; in that case, you should ensure your computer is functional, and Microsoft word is updated.
• Do you have an exam password or candidate ID? Ensure you remember these things because they may be needed during exams.
• If you are taking your exams at home, ensure you create suitable exam conditions, including a quiet space, a comfortable chair and desk, and adequate lighting.
• You can drink water or eat snacks if that will help you, but we advise avoiding distractions such as food when doing your exams.
• Lastly, ensure you have an alarm clock to help track your timing. Remember that open-book exams have a time frame you should adhere to; otherwise, you may be penalized or disqualified.
Can I cheat in open-book exams?
First, you should understand what cheating is. Cheating in an exam violates rules or regulations stipulated by the examiner. In an open-book exam, the instructor may set the rules on which resource materials are allowed in an exam room and which are not. Violating these rules constitute cheating.
For instance, some professors may allow students to use the internet, while others may not. Cheating is never allowed in any examination, underscoring the need to prepare for them thoroughly.
Some students cheat in exams by collaborating with others in online forums, while others copy their fellow students’ assignments. You may be disqualified from the university or college if you are found.
Instead of cheating, you can hire assignment helper services from Sunshine Group based in Malaysia.
Sunshine Group Your number one partner for open-book exams.
At Sunshine, we have professionals who will help you with any exam to ensure you understand the concepts and pass. You can rely on our essay writing services in Malaysia, articles writing, report writing, etc., thus, facilitating your learning experience.
Our expert writers are affordable and will put you on the right path to success. Furthermore, we help you to figure out how to start an assignment, why most students fail in writing and how you can overcome these mistakes.
Therefore, if you looking for assignment helper in Malaysia or maybe homework helper in Singapore then you need to visit the website of https://www.sunshinebuddy2u.com/ and talk to professional writers, explain to them your requirements and avail timely help. Our Sunshine Group is here to see you succeed in your academic endeavors and become a better citizen.